In this time of recession, families are opting for a stay-cations or cutting back on luxury items. However, individuals are choosing to invest in their home by upgrading their windows which not only helps to enhance property value, but can also decrease the amount of energy used within the home. Replacement windows are one of the simplest investments for personal enjoyment, energy savings, and can also increase the value of your home. When researching for replacement windows, look for Energy Star rated windows as they provide greater energy savings on both heating and air utility bills throughout the year.
Replacement window technologies have become advantageous for home owners, providing pristine and clear views into their yards, allowing light into the house with less radical UV intensity, allowing fresh air into areas of the home when desired, yet keep the house properly insulated when the windows are closed, cut down the amount spent on utility bills year-around, and provide low maintenance for years and years. Depending on the manufacturer, there are specific options, designs and styles of windows that, with the correct installation, can provide long term energy savings.
Double Pane Glass – Higher quality energy efficient replacement windows incorporate a double pane glass design with either an air space or for higher quality windows or argon gas filled for its low heat/cold conduction, making certain complete insulation and preventing air from escaping from the house or leaking in.
Tempered Glazing – An even higher quality type of window is tempered with specific glazing that scales back energy loss nearly 50% whereas permitting all the sunshine to enter the house while not allowing radical UV radiation to enter the home. This window style aids in preserving energy particularly in smaller confined areas.
Reflective Glass – Particularly useful for homes in sunny or hotter areas, there are higher quality energy efficient windows which utilize reflective glass to scale back the quantity of heat and light, conducive to less solar energy absorption. This good thing about this glass style is most helpful for small rooms and areas that require to remain cool with air-conditioning.
Vinyl Window Frame – In the past most replacement window frames solely made with wood, however these days, vinyl has established to be the most advantageous for a range of reasons. Vinyl replacement windows are not virtually maintenance free because they do not warp, crack, or peel, however they also guarantee a tighter air seal to the house, preventing outside air from coming in or indoor air from escaping.
Replacement windows that are higher quality and incorporate energy efficient do not only offer the simplest overall value by being long lasting, they conjointly save householders every month in utility value. There are not many investments that can both make the home more valuable and and saves cash on a monthly basis for the lifetime of the house. These windows seem to pay for themselves for both long and short term.
Thinking about making a few GREEN upgrades to your home before the end of summer? You may want to read this article from BuildingGreen.com and International Window Film Association (IWFA) which states window film is the best retro fit on a home to save energy in warm climates.
Today in Flower Mound we are replacing old worn out windows with new double paned vinyl windows. These double glazed units were fitted to reduce energy loss and to also to help increase the insulation of the house, they can also reduce condensation.
What are Dual Pane Windows you ask? Answer: Two layers of glass are hermetically sealed into a unit, which would be sized for your window opening, then sealed and used to replace the standard single pane commonly used in the manufacture of a window or door.
Dual paned Units were First Introduced in the 1930’s and were commonly available throughout the USA by the 1950’s. Looking more closely at what goes to make up a unit let’s first look at the spacer. These are made up of four different types
1) Regular Metal Spacers
2) Combination Sealant Type Spacers
3) Non Metal Synthetic Spacers (i.e. Vinyl)
The regular metal spacers are generally made up of aluminum glazing bars, electro galvanised steel, or even stainless steel. The spacers themselves can have a dramatic effect on the cost of the double glazed units depending on the material they are made from.
The spacers are filled with a desiccant component especially designed to reduce the condensation that may form between the panes of glass in the sealed unit, this desiccant soaks up the moisture and helps keeps the unit clear from misting and fogging.
Misting or Fogging of Your Double Glazed Units
So what happens when the units break down?. Misting or fogging of a unit is a common problem, and as luck would have it, this often occurs just after the guarantee runs out. Misty or foggy units can make a room look terrible and as the seals around the windows age & break can be expected in the lifetime of the unit.
But the cost of repairing units is no longer a major problem as this process can be done fairly cheaply and quickly by replacing the glass and utilizing the existing window frame.
Overall the benefits of double glazing far outweigh the cons. With the advent of more competition in the market place, the prices of replacing double glazed units has come down dramatically.
Over the past few years, Texans have moved less and instead made the decision to invest their earnings into remodeling, renovating and restoring their current house to make a custom environment that is quiet and restful providing the homeowner with precisely what they wanted in their home. While avoiding the trouble and expense of moving.
A common upgrade made to homes by the home owners is to interchange old warn out windows with new windows. There are a range of reasons; home security, energy efficiency, spectacular home views, or upgrading the exterior of the home. No matter the reason, these are the four steps you should consider when replacing your home windows. Once you have done your homework, you can also get additional information from a window professional.
Regardless of reason, if you’re in the marketplace for replacement windows, then there are a couple of things that you need to consider; cost, brands and materials are the top of them.
With brand, cost and materials as the top concerns, the four steps below can assist you to make the best decision for the long-term investment to your home.
1. Which Windows need Replacement – Though not a requirement, but having a professional check all the windows of your house is recommended as they have an eye for specific issues you may not be privy to. For example,seal failure which happens more often than you think. If you have a large area, it’s suggested to interchange all the windows in that specific area to make sure all of the windows supply the equivalent appearance, and each window wear at the same rate. This will also ensure they are made of the same materials. Replacement windows are also available in a range of shapes, sizes, and materials that is if you are looking for a major change. Some of these selections are often on the expensive side whereas square shapes measure cheaper.
Between the wood replacement windows and vinyl replacement windows, both of which provide stunning backdrops for any area in your home. The vinyl windows are best for all-time low maintenance and greatest sturdiness against the elements. However long you intend on staying within the home, research your products before purchasing new windows so you are able to take advantage of the investment before selling the home.
2. Get Estimates! Also Work with Businesses that provide Free Estimates -This is that the time for due diligence and research. Review all the window professionals in your area and solely work with companies that provide complimentary in-home consultations. It is sensible to discuss your options with up to 3 companies to fully judge the best company to work with, and it is also advised to review your regional Better Business Bureau listing to make sure nothing short of a stellar reputation for any accredited business you choose to meet. The businesses you decide to meet with should concentrate on window replacement as opposed to a general contractor. Write down all of your queries prior to your appointments and you can make the best decision.
3. Evaluate ALL your options – Some window replacement companies can resort to their highest priced product first; if this happens be sure to voice your concern of value versus quality. Be sure to inquire about the installation timeline, by doing so you’re ready to get the simplest evaluation, best value, and quickest installation.
4. Word of mouth Referrals – there’s no higher objective and honest opinion than your close network that has completed similar home improvements. Also be sure to do your homework on-line before hiring the company and only consider them if they are extremely recommended by your friends, family and neighbors. Don’t forget to check third party validation like the regional BBB, or Angie’s List as either will help to make an informed decision.